It is difficult to imagine that even in the 19th century, regular hygiene procedures were considered a luxury, and there was no room specifically designed for these needs in an ordinary dwelling. But progress does not stand still, bringing hygiene to the fore. Now the bathing area, equipped with sanitary appliances, is an integral part of any home or apartment. Here a person fixes himself after sleep, washes away dirt and dust at the end of a walk, takes a relaxing shower. A room can tell a lot about its owner, so everyone deliberately approaches the interior design, carefully selects materials for flooring, wall covering and ceiling in the bathroom. The quality of the repair will depend on the comfort of the whole family.
Basic requirements for the ceiling in the bathroom
Everyone is constantly striving to improve their living conditions in their own homes. For these purposes, purchased new appliances, furniture, carried out internal and external repair activities. The bathroom is no exception, but requires special attention. This is due to the specifics of the room. When choosing materials used to finish the ceiling, you should consider the requirements for them:
- Moisture resistance. Facing will be constantly in a wet environment. Steam rises to the ceiling, splashes fall on it, condensation accumulates.
- Easy care. The coating should not collect all the dirt. In the bathroom it is difficult to clean because of the many items. Select items that can be cleaned with a regular sponge or cloth.
- Aesthetics. Compatibility with the overall design of the room is very important. You can make it an accent room.
- Loss of height. In a room with a low level of the ceiling it is not necessary to install multi-tiered structures that can take 10-15 cm in height.
- Damage resistance. If the integrity of the material is lost, it can quickly become unusable, and mold and fungus will start on the walls.
- Resistance to temperature changes. Finishing should not lose the original quality and structure.
- Durability and resistance to loss of appearance.
- Cost Plays an important role for many buyers. Not always the most expensive finish is the best.
- The complexity of the installation work. The parameter determines the ability to install the structure with your own hands, as well as the price of the services of the involved specialists.
- Ecological quality. Raw materials should not release harmful substances hazardous to human health.
Popular Bathroom Ceiling Options
When finishing the ceiling in the bathroom, you can use a variety of materials that are suitable for the requirements for rooms with high humidity. If the choice of options for living rooms has a major impact on aesthetics, then in the case of a shower and a toilet, practicality comes first. It is possible to make high-quality repair in any available way - from simple budget plastering, to design modeling by mirrors and natural boards. It all depends on personal preferences, the overall style of the room, financial opportunities.
Plastering and whitewashing
The most affordable way to finish the ceiling for the bathroom. With the help of plaster it is easy to eliminate minor defects, level, transform the surface of any size. You can prepare and apply a special moisture-resistant mixture without the help of specialists. The following solutions will do:
- Based on cement. Do not shrink when applied correctly. Sand, lime are usually added to the solution. The main disadvantage of the mixture - high-quality plastering can be carried out by an experienced master;
- Polymer blend. Plastic material is easy to apply, does not require preparation. Differs in the high price therefore it is not rational to use it on big surfaces. The best option for the repair of individual sections of the plastered ceiling;
- Gypsum plaster. A mixture of plasticizers, metal salts and other components that increase the strength, moisture resistance. It adheres well to brick, concrete. Not suitable for bathrooms with high humidity and poor ventilation.
The plaster is applied in several layers, each rubbed and well dried. Finishing is whitewashing. Environmentally friendly cheap version has an antiseptic effect, does not allow mold to develop. Of the minuses can be noted simple unpresentable look, great labor costs in the preparation and application of the mixture to the ceiling. Whitewashing in the bathroom must be updated every year.
Excellent option for fast repair without special expenses. The painted surface does not reduce the height of the ceiling, therefore it is suitable for small bathrooms. The basic requirements for paint - moisture resistance, heat resistance. You can only use special formulations, if you wish to add a dye of any color that is in harmony with the general interior. It is possible to use an outdated method of finishing the ceiling after the preliminary priming of the walls.
Before painting the ceiling, the bathroom should not be used for at least 24 hours. The room should be dry, without condensation on the surfaces. It is preferable to use paint to form a smooth texture, so that the ceiling is easier to wipe and clean. The surface can be made monochromatic or apply any pattern, use stencils.
Paint in the bathroom should be applied to flat ceilings. You should not save on materials, for a small area their minimum quantity is required. Cons - color change after several years, the need for periodic staining of areas at the junction of the plates, especially with frequent flooding by neighbors.
Pasting the ceiling wallpaper
This method of finishing is rarely used. Even the most durable washable, moisture-proof wallpaper will not live long on the ceiling in the bathroom. But if you choose the right material, the decoration method will consist of some advantages; it will allow you to create an interesting interior.
For the ceiling in the bathroom is better to use the combined method of finishing. For example, the space above the shower enclosure should be sheathed with plastic, the rest of the surface should be moisture-proof wallpaper. In this case, the adhesive must be waterproof, with excellent adhesion, antifungal properties.
Paper-based wallpapers are not suitable even for partially pasting a specific room. It is better to use vinyl based material. They tolerate non-durable contact with steam and water. Liquid wallpaper - the perfect solution for the bathroom. By way of installation, they resemble plaster. For additional protection they can be varnished. You can also use metal wallpaper, with the addition of glass strands. But it is necessary to take into account that they do not let the air through, the room will have to be aired often.
One of the most popular types of bathroom finishes. Easy to install, lightweight PVC panels retain a presentable appearance in conditions of high humidity and temperature. Plastic parts are able to withstand the flooding of neighbors of any degree of severity, the cost of repairs will be minimal. Practical material at an affordable price easily solves the problem of uneven ceilings, thanks to a good reflective surface visually expands the small space.
Safe thermoplastic polymer has excellent performance. PVC panels are produced in the form of long strips, ceiling options differ in weight. Materials suitable for installation in the bathroom are not thinner than 8 mm. Otherwise, the light from the spotlights will make the design transparent and unaesthetic. In addition to the advantages, PVC products in a damp room have some drawbacks - they lower the ceiling a few centimeters lower, and the panel joints are difficult to clean.
Rack false ceiling
The modern method of decorating surfaces in the bathroom allows you to create an aesthetic surface that isolates from noise. It is easy to hide pipe and cable wiring behind suspended ceiling systems, to mount any lighting devices. Narrow, long elements can be plastic or metal. Docking is carried out at the expense of edges bent in a special way in several ways - open, closed, gapless. They are easily mounted on any curved surfaces.
Details of the suspended rack construction can be solid or with perforations. The second option is particularly suitable for surfaces requiring air circulation. Due to the variety of materials, shapes and sizes of the rails, the appearance of the ceiling will perfectly fit into the design of any interior.
If for finishing the ceiling it is necessary to use wooden lath elements, they should be pre-treated with special protective compounds.
Cassette ceiling type
An interesting design of suspended parts perfectly copes with the task entrusted to it in rooms with high humidity. Material for cladding should be selected taking into account the features of the microclimate. A variety of sizes and shapes of cassette modules allows you to combine them with built-in fans responsible for air circulation.
Decorative panels are easily mounted on a metal frame. For the bathroom, the toilet is better to use modules made of plexiglass, acrylic, steel, mineral components, aluminum. Lightweight cassettes can be monophonic, color, with different patterns. Any of the elements is easily replaced if damaged. Cons - high cost, reducing the height of the ceiling by 15 cm.
Expanded polystyrene ceiling tiles
To trim the ceiling in the bathroom, you can use several types of simple foam material. Relief surface creates comfort, suitable for many interior styles. Attached to the ceiling surface with glue. If necessary, light, air coating can be periodically painted. For the bathroom use several types of products from porous material:
- Extruded tile. The thickness of the modules is 3 mm. It is made of foamed polystyrene mass, covered with a protective film;
- Stamped. Thickness is 8 mm. It has a loose surface. It is made by pressing blocks of polystyrene foam;
- Injection. Thickness is 14 mm. To obtain elements, the raw material is melted and poured into the mold, thanks to which the ceiling is trimmed according to the seamless technology.
Laying ceramic tiles
Rooms with a special microclimate need high-quality durable finish. Ceramic tiles - one of these options. The tile maintains any temperature condition, moisture, strengthens a ceiling. It is simple to maintain it, it is enough to wipe it occasionally with a rag, you can use any detergent. The material has exceptional aesthetic characteristics, in addition to standard squares, you can use a mirror, textured tile.
The process of laying ceramic tiles is laborious and costly, but quite feasible with your own hands. The surface is carefully prepared - cleaned, plastered, primed. Then put the tile adhesive and leave to dry for several hours. Make the markup and lay the tile.
Stretch ceilings are suitable for a bathroom only with good ventilation. Cloths on a fabric basis, PVC do not allow air, moisture will not evaporate, so the appearance of the fungus is simply provided. Get rid of it will be very problematic. Even the slightest flooding will lead to big problems, the formation of color and mold.
Stretch ceiling in the bathroom can be an excellent alternative to the rack, plastic options, if the finish is carried out in a spacious bathroom of a private house. Glossy, matte surfaces of various colors will create your own style of the room.
On reflective surfaces it is better not to mount spotlights. The room will look like an operating room, and the lighting will blind the eyes.
A stylish solution used by many designers. Practical, original veneer will look good in a room of any size. Reflective elements expand the space, transfer moisture, enhance lighting. With their help, you can create a unique design, they are easy to combine with other finishing materials. Cons - fragility, high weight, high cost.
You can use several types of reflective elements for finishing - glass parts are solid, with facet, pattern and polystyrene plates with a special coating. The method of attachment for each option will be different, use screws, special adhesives.
To carry out finishing in rooms with high humidity can only waterproof material HL. It contains hydrophobic additives, all layers of cardboard are treated with special compounds. With it, you can create a smooth, curved surface, boxes for lamps. Installation takes a minimum of time. Cons - fragility, the need for a frame, additional finishing.
After installing the plasterboard on the frame, the sheets are plastered and rubbed. Moisture-resistant wallpaper, dyeing, pasting with foam tiles and other options that are inexpensive are used as finishing.
Ceiling in the bathroom can be carried out with various wood materials. Most often use natural lining. All elements of the future design will retain the natural color and flavor for a long time. On the panel pre-applied special impregnation, which will not allow moisture absorption, protect against fire, the effects of other negative factors.
With the installation of difficulties will not arise. The paneling is attached to the base frame of the bars with the help of nails. If over time the ceiling loses appearance, there is no need to re-sheathe it. Boards can be painted, covered with stain and varnish.
What color to decorate the ceiling in the bathroom
Making the ceiling - one of the main conditions for creating any interior. Properly selected palette will allow you to get a cozy atmosphere, help you relax, relax comfortably in a warm bathroom. When choosing the right shade should observe the following requirements:
- Psychological impact. Some colors can calm, others cause agitation, aggression:
- Green. It acts pacifyingly, relieves fatigue, and soothes the nervous system.
- Blue. Helps to reduce pressure, relax, relieves anxious feelings.
- Blue. Dissipates stress. It is not necessary to use it in a large volume, on the contrary, it will lead to negative consequences - depression, immersion in depression.
- Yellow. Creates the illusion of well-being, tones, slightly stimulates the nervous system.
- Red. It activates the body, encourages action, causes aggression.
- White. Neutral color. On the one hand, it reassures - on the other, it causes a feeling of isolation, detachment, and disappointment.
- The height of the room. For a visual increase in space, use cold light shades, to reduce - dark.
- General style. The combination with the color of the walls, plumbing fixtures, equipment installed in the room.
- The presence and intensity of natural and artificial lighting. Dark tones are not recommended for use in poorly lit rooms.
The most common shades are white and milky. They are combined with any colors. If you want to create a bath in a nautical style, you should apply a blue, light green, turquoise color. You can combine different tones with each other, consider monochrome, multi-colored options.
Ceiling and style - what style to decorate the ceiling
The style of the ceiling should match the interior of the bathroom. When choosing it, one should take into account the color palette, the form and type of installed objects, the materials used for wall and floor covering, the texture of existing or planned surfaces. There are many different directions that can be found in modern design. Consider several options for popular design:
- Loft. A good way to arrange a room with high ceilings. Non-plaster coarse materials are used here. You can leave bare concrete walls. The original look will be wooden beams, a coating that imitates brickwork.
- Minimalism. The surface should be exceptionally smooth. Drawings and ornaments are not allowed. Suitable plastic, ceramic tiles, mirrors. The main thing is to observe rigor. The number of lighting fixtures should be kept to a minimum. At registration it is better to use 1-2 shades. In addition to the standard white and gray color, you can use yellow, blue, green.
- Scandinavian. The main requirement is a smooth, bright ceiling. Suitable for finishing putty, white waterproof paint, stretch ceilings made of PVC film. For lighting using built-in lights.
- Modern The color scheme consists of gold, golden black, white, pearl, coffee, beige. Suspended structures, moisture resistant drywall and paint are used. Applied lamps in the form of flowers, leaves.
Top ceilings in terms of design
Having considered the possible materials used for the decoration of the ceiling surface, it is difficult to make a choice, to choose the most appropriate option. First of all, it is worthwhile to take into account the design of other rooms in the house, use the advice of specialists, look at ready-made examples, on the basis of which to select the appropriate design.
If you approach from the point of view of aesthetic properties, then the choice is better to stop on false ceilings, plasterboard structures. The first is to give preference when ready to invest in the interior design a tidy sum. Suspended structures are suitable for rooms with large heights, which neighbors can fill in from above. The second option will require less cost, and the installation can be done by hand. Multi-level systems are striking in their beauty and diversity.
Separately worth staying at the mirrored ceilings. The mirror will give the room a rich look, create a cozy and comfortable atmosphere. Facing is quite rare, so that it will be the highlight of any house or apartment, which can boast to friends. The inconvenience caused by fogging of the surface can be eliminated with the help of special tools that need to periodically process the material.
The most popular ceilings for practicality
The aesthetic properties of the coating play an important role, but when choosing a ceiling material that meets all the requirements, particular attention should be paid to its practicality. After spending a lot of manpower and resources, no one wants to deal with this issue again, with possible accidental damage to the surface.
One of the most practical coatings are plastic PVC panels. Install them under the force of each independently. In the event of damage to a separate element, it is not necessary to dismantle the ceiling facing completely; it suffices to replace one small part. The same properties have a slatted ceiling made of plastic, aluminum, stainless steel. This coating is more expensive, but combines practicality and beauty.
Some argue that the best solution, both from a practical point of view and aesthetic, will be a suspended ceiling. This view only makes sense in a room with high ceilings and very good ventilation, which should be in the space between the floor and the floor slab. Otherwise, such a design can only bring harm to human health. For example, after flooding, the water can be drained through any hole provided for the luminaire to level the material by heating. However, wet walls will remain mothballed inside, which will inevitably lead to the appearance and development of mold.
Previously, when carrying out repairs in the bathroom, little attention was paid to the ceiling surface, using ordinary whitewash. With the advent of various materials, each of which has several advantages, the attitude to the design of the ceiling has changed. Now it is easy to find a beautiful lining that can transform a room, make it more cozy, comfortable and soothing. Assessing the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed methods of finishing, you can choose the most suitable option that completely suits everyone.