Every person in his life came across such an element of clothing as an apron. He is dressed in educational institutions, for example, during creative work in kindergarten, during a lesson in school. Children are given the task of self-manufacturing of such products, and often turn to their parents with the question of how to sew an apron, and sometimes adults do all the work for them.
The skill acquired in childhood is sure to come in handy in the future, because the hem for many is part of workwear. It is worn by cooks, waiters, hairdressers, shop assistants, laboratory assistants, and representatives of other professions. Housewives use this item in the kitchen when cooking, cleaning, washing. It allows you to protect things from dirt, grease and stains.
Now it is impossible to say exactly who and when the first apron was invented. Historians believe that the products appeared in ancient Egypt, as evidenced by the images found in temples and graves that have survived to our days. The first prototypes belong to the period of the Early Kingdom. They were called "scheti", they were worn exclusively by men in the public service, as well as upper classes and pharaohs.
Subsequently, the subject was borrowed by the Arabs, who for many centuries created their own clothes. This element migrated to ancient Greece, where there is a great influence of the East, and then to Ancient Rome. If the Greeks clothing was variegated and stiff, the Romans at the beginning of the republican period preferred simple, strict forms.
The following mentions of an apron belong to the Middle Ages, where in the countries of Western Europe, starting from the 12th century, it becomes the subject of decoration for noble women. For men, he entered the wardrobe of work clothes. Used this item solely as a defense, as an addition to the main suit.
In Eastern European countries, products appeared later. The word itself is found in Russian writing only from 1663, in Polish - from 1498. The designation came to the Western Slavs, and later to the Eastern from the German language. Literally translated as a front scarf. They were used as working clothes, national costumes, festive decorations.
Where and how are aprons used
Aprons have long become a familiar element of the wardrobe, which can be found not only in the kitchen, but also in everyday life. It is used almost everywhere. They are worn by women, men, adults, children. This subject has evolved over more than one century, even millennia. He won the favor of people, and sometimes went to no. Now this thing is used in the following cases:
- Gen. Housewives use an apron when cooking, washing dishes, doing other chores.
- Kindergarten. They are worn for children when eating, during creative activities using paints, clay, and other brand things.
- School. In the classroom they are worn by boys and girls. Female gender is decorated with an apron for school uniforms during holidays, various events.
- The medicine. There are models for different categories of medical staff. They are used by surgeons, nurses.
- Communal sphere. Special protective aprons for janitors, plumbers.
- Service sector. They are worn by sellers, hairdressers, shoemakers, maids, porters, cleaners.
- Public catering. This is a mandatory attribute of chefs and waiters.
- Production. The apron is designed for turners, metal washers, blacksmiths, welders.
- Chemical industry. Protective products are used by laboratory technicians when working with different reagents.
- Fishing industry. They are used by workers in the fish shops, fishermen, going to the fishery.
Types of aprons
There are many varieties of these products. According to the cut, they are divided into the following types: cutting with a bib, single-cut, without a bib. By gender and age category: women, men, children. By appointment can be identified:
By functional purpose:
- Decorative. Used as decoration.
- Standard. Used to protect clothes from dirt, grease stains.
- PPE (personal protective equipment). These include: chemically resistant (laboratory); moisture resistant food; canvas (for the welder); lead (for protection from radiation, use of radiologists, patients).
The choice of fabric
When self-tailoring apron very important point is the choice of a suitable material for work. First of all, it is necessary to take into account the fact that the product must protect clothes from contamination while at the same time decorating a person, therefore, the chosen textiles must meet certain requirements:
- Convenience. The material should not cause discomfort to the wearer.
- Wear resistance. The fabric used must withstand frequent washing.
- Naturalness It is better to use natural raw materials that do not have a negative impact on the person.
- Strength. With long-term operation, textiles should not lose their structure and quality.
- Attractive appearance.
All fabrics that can be used for self-tailoring of the finished product can be divided into three main types:
- Natural. These include cotton, linen, silk. They are well breathable, hypoallergenic, pleasant to the touch, long retain color.
- Synthetic. These include polyester, fleece, acrylic, polysateen. They are very durable, wear-resistant, have a water-repellent coating. However, they are afraid of high temperatures, do not let the air through, accumulate statistical electricity.
- Mixed. This is a taslan, tisy, duspo, taffeta. Differ in low cost, they are easy to clean, do not fade during washing, have high durability.
Skirts and models for aprons
In a full-fledged family, the kitchen should have at least three aprons for all its members: female, male, and child. Each is characterized by a certain type, color. After selecting the appropriate fabric for the work, you should determine the model of the future product. To do this, consider the existing styles:
- Aprons. This is the most elementary design, consists of a piece of fabric and a belt, which is tied at the waist. This clothing protects only the front of the outerwear.
- Single cut with a bib. This model covers the chest, abdomen, hips. Fastened to the neck and waist. Made from a single piece of fabric. This is a more practical option compared to the previous one.
- Detachable with bib. It is similar to the previous version, but only partially covers the chest area. These cute things underline the waist. The belt, the lower part, a bib is its part.
For a more practical product, you can sew pockets into it, into which small things are put, freeing your hands from trifles. For its tailoring the same material is used as in the manufacture of the apron itself.
Creating a pattern
Creating a pattern is the most difficult moment in all the work. Only after solving this problem, you can start sweeping parts and sewing the product. To prepare the sketch you will need to take the following measurements:
- half hip hips;
- length, width of the bib;
- apron parameters;
- the length of the strings on the neck, the belt.
Making measurements, you can begin to create a sketch. If you do not have enough skills in drawing up the scheme, you can take ready-made models from specialized literature, download from the network, replacing the available dimensions with your own.
According to the existing plan, templates for an apron, a belt, a bib, ties, a pocket are made. For this you can use thick paper or cardboard. Skilled craftsmen can apply the details immediately on textiles. It is recommended to use half-patterns, since it is much more convenient to cut parts from folded sheets of cloth.
Apron sewing sequence
To make a fashionable, convenient apron with your own hands, you need to choose the right patterns, decide on the type of fabric, style, additional decor. Stitched model with a bib in the following sequence:
- Prepare all the details of the cut to sweep;
- We make straps, we process edges;
- We carry out the finishing of the edges of the breastplate, we connect with the straps;
- We hang pockets;
- We hem the free edges of the bottom of the apron;
- We connect bottom, bib and belt.
Apron sewing ideas for the whole family
Kitchen apron - an indispensable thing. It is often used, performs many functions, so it must be not only practical, but also aesthetic. In many national costumes, he plays the role of decorative ornaments. The variety of traditional cooking utensils is very large. Choose a suitable model, the method of registration will be able to any family member.
The apron is the first product that schoolchildren sew in labor classes in high school. After studying the master classes, you can easily supplement your skills with a few accent details. Self-selected style, creative model will always remind a woman of individuality. In an apron with ruffles, beautiful folds of unimaginable colors it is impossible to feel like a housewife. There are many unusual ideas for the whole family.
Aprons for children - boys and girls
All children love helping parents in the kitchen. Useful experience and training to work is not always clear. Often the clothes of babies are stained and smeared. It is very easy to sew a bright children's apron decorated with an original appliqué, easily.
The easiest version of an apron for a child is made of oilcloth and multi-colored bags. You can add it with buttons, pockets, funny lace, like a maid or waiter. An apron for a boy can be made on the same principle, but as a decoration, use a print with cars, airplanes, steam locomotives. You can not bother with a complex application, but simply cut and sew the pattern from the package.
Apron for mom
The basis of the material of the apron for housewives, you can also choose polyethylene, decorate with flowers and other female decor, but this element will look unaesthetic and is suitable only for active cooking. The apron for guests should be fabric, elegant. They should definitely replace the battered types and all the delights of the kitchen life of an apron with the arrival of guests, during gatherings in the kitchen, when serving food.
Apron with a straight silhouette and straightforward cut can be in any color. But the snow-white view will emphasize the cleanliness and grooming of the mother. You can also sew a beautiful protection on the dress patterns or completely redo the outdated item of clothing, add large pockets to the hairdresser, a bright belt, ruffles.
Apron for dad
Many men are actively involved in the preparation of dinners, so, like all family members, they need their own apron. A homemade stylish kitchen accessory will be a great gift. It can be a simple fun version of polyethylene, a good-sized large-sized fabric bib, specially decorated with a stylish print.
Apron for dad can be not only the kitchen. To work in the garage, at home also need reliable protection of clothing. This is usually a fabric belt dressing with many pockets for storing tools. This apron can be decorated with modest embroidery, stick a personalized sticker.
Apron of men's shirt
You can sew a beautiful original apron from any clothes that are no longer used for any of the reasons. Men's shirt is suitable for this purpose as it is impossible by the way, thanks to the one-piece back and a lot of material. There are several simple options for cutting (with a collar, modular). The easiest - from the back. The following workshop will help you to make patterns correctly:
- Prepare the back, cut off the collar, sleeves;
- We stretch the edges of the future apron and iron it well;
- Sew stitches on the belt and eyelet in the neck area;
- Horizontal seam at chest level is decorated with ruffles, frill, decorative ribbons;
- Pockets, the lower part of the product is decorated as desired.
Apron from old jeans
Old unwanted pants can be easily turned into an original casual apron. You can cut jeans in several ways - use one of the legs or start sewing only from the top with back pockets.
The apron from the leg will be large in size, the entire length of the product. Make a pattern on the pattern, your own design or an existing apron. We process edges by edging, for example, with an oblique inlay. The same tape is used for strings. Trimming material will go to the pockets of arbitrary shape.
It is necessary to properly position the leg, making the pattern. Factory seam should be strictly in the middle.
Another option for making a modern apron is no less simple than the previous one. Cut off the trousers from the trousers both legs, trim the upper part to the level of the fly. We process edges from sprinkling, sew strings, a beautiful belt, pockets.
The original model is an apron in the style of patchwork. Elegant workwear from a variety of different patches will create a holiday in the kitchen under any circumstances, will make the process of even long cooking of complex dishes simple and easy.
For work we prepare 30 rags of the same size. They can be of different shapes, but it will be easier for beginning seamstresses to work with the same squares. We connect 6 pieces in a strip and sew. Also we do 3 more preparations. Now put them in a large rectangle and sew along. We connect 4 squares and place them in the center of the main part. Another of the 2 squares form the upper part of the apron.
You can leave the apron in its original form or make a notch. To do this, fold the product in half, mark on the extreme square in the second row a smooth bend and cut off a piece of fabric through both layers. Lining will help to hide a large number of seams on the inside. We attach the future apron to a piece of monophonic fabric, cut along the contour with a small margin. Attach to each other both parts with the wrong sides and sew. We trim the edges with white stripes. From the same material, you can make strings.
Shabby chic apron
Pattern for apron chebbi-chic differs little from standard models. It stands out against the rest of the textiles with a stylish, festive decoration. Such an apron is decorated with ruffles, fringe, many pockets and linings. The size of each hostess chooses arbitrary.
For sewing, you will need a light fabric, plain or with a floral pattern, a lot of textile decoration (ribbons, lace, flowers). The style is more often used beautiful, volumetric, with the assembly at the waist. The main fabric is linen, thick cotton.
Features tailoring apron made of polyethylene
For some unforeseen cases, there is a great idea to make an apron made of polyethylene, which is always at hand. These can be simple packages, packaging, wrapping material. Simple protection can simply be thrown away after use.
The apron from a film is very convenient for the dirty work connected with needlework (painting, felting). Suitable for a cook, an artist. It is enough to take a piece of polyethylene 120x80 cm, fold it in half, cut the pattern according to the standard, simplest scheme. The role of the strings will play a film tape from a single piece of raw materials. You can decorate any materials at hand.
A standard apron with a standard pattern can be purchased at any specialty store. But the real exclusive thing can only be sewn with your own hands. Simple work does not take much time, and even a high school student will cope with it. Kids in kindergarten are already taught to simple modeling from fabric, so there will be no problems for adults with creating a unique design.